Skip to main content

BOOTLEG 1



I was done with my exams, and I couldn’t wait to travel, there were states In India I was yet to visit, so I decided to visit Delhi the capital of India for a few months.

The first thing I noticed was the fact that men here are unusually friendly and you will get to see that the number of Nigerian men here is higher than that of women.


I settled in pretty much sooner than I thought, and I also got used to the apartment where I stayed, It all started that evening, I and a few ladies from the neighbourhood decided to go to a party, a nightclub.


I was excited because I haven't been to any nightclub since I knew myself...  the ladies invited me to tag along.. .. I felt safe and excited to go with them.


Below is the dialogue we had while in the car, I sat in front by the right-hand side while the ladies sat at the back of the cab.


Faith: babe? Madam is asking me for the remaining money and I don’t have it yet, I just hope 3that the client that would approach me would be loaded with money, I can’t stand another argument with madam tomorrow.


(she sat up as she explained to her friends how badly she needed the money.
 she's been here in India for a few months and  on this day she was wearing a sleeveless, short,  skinny jean gown)

Favour: (she was being inquisitive) but faith, how come you didn’t pay the money you gathered last week? You got thirty thousand, what happened to the money?

Faith: (sadly replied) I told you my mum has been sick, I had to send the money home for hospital bills and treatment.

Favour: (she thought for a second and then nodded in affirmation) ooh yea, that’s true, you told me about it, hope your mum is getting better dear?

Faith: (nodding sadly)you know how African hospitals can be... I just pray I hear something positive this week. That’s why I need money badly, even if I have to spend two hours per client from 1 am till 6 am at least I will raise twelve to fifteen thousand  (12 or 15k).

Favour: Babe not to worry, everything will be fine, nothing in life is easy, Anyways, today am not going for clients, am going to enjoy myself (she started shaking her body, adjusting her dress, and smiling as she spoke to us)

I was facing back at the three seated chairs at the back of the cab where they sat, watching and listening to them all through, I couldn’t contribute, comment, or even smile... I was just listening.

All that was running through my mind is what's madam? What's the client? maybe they are talking about their shop business, so I thought in my head.

Pinky was there too but she wasn't saying anything, she was just staring outside the window, Favour then called out to the driver and asked if he has a Bluetooth

Favour: Ana! Do you have Bluetooth here?

Driver: yes I have mam

Favour: put it on and then I'll connect okay?

 ( she brought out her phone from her small purse and started searching for music to play)

Faith turned to pinky and started talking to her

Faith: Baby, why are you quiet today, any problem? don’t you feel like partying today?


Pinky: (turned to faith and smiled) am just wondering when this business of ours will come to an end like I can’t wait for it to end, I want to be my madam, earn my own money, have my girls, even boys too, am tired of doing this work honestly

Faith: you have a point there dear, I have thought about this too but I don’t think I would love to do business in this area, I am thinking of settling down or even going back to my country when am done. It’s already tough doing this work, it will take a lot of doing or creating your own, don’t you think so?

(she turned to favour, to see if she will contribute)

Favour: (looking unconcerned ) I just want to live my life and be happy that’s all, you guys are funny  (pointing at them one after the other) you want to marry ( she started laughing)  you want to start this same business, I don’t have anything to say to you guys, let’s just take each day one step at a time okay (she looked into her phone and continue pressing, probably chatting)

She didn’t play the song and I was still facing back listening to their conversation, then faith looked at me and started asking me questions

Faith : (smiling) favour invited you right?

Me: (nodding) yes she did

Faith: (Faith started staring at me and asked again) what’s the name of your madam?

Me: (confused)  which madam?

Favour quickly interrupted

Favour: she is a student

Faith: (placed chewing gum in her mouth) ohh okay, are you staying in Noida? Which school?

Favour: (still interrupting and interceding for me) she is not leaving in Delhi, have you seen her before? Baby girl,  she just came here for holiday, why are you interrogating her?

Faith: (becoming suspicious) why are you answering the questions am asking her, am asking to get to know her or does she have an allergic when it comes to questions

Me: (smiling) no dear, favour is right, I don’t stay here, I stay in Bangalore, a student,  I just came here for a visit, I would probably stay for a few weeks.

Faith: okay dear, you are a fine girl, we can be close friends right?

Me: of course yes, why not? (smiling)

(then I turned to pinky, touching her so she could look at me) hey dear, what’s your name?

Pinky: my name is pinky (smiling)

Me: (surprise) pinky!? is that your real name?

Pinky: no dear, is the name I answer here, I don't tell people my real name.

Me: would you mind telling me your real name, please? am Desire, my Igbo name is chinyere (still smiling but my neck has started hurting a little from turning and staying in that position for a long time)

Pinky: just call me pinky (she smiled and then continued staring outside the window)

Favour: (Favour looked and me) she doesn’t tell people her real name, it’s not a big deal, you don’t have to think about it dear, and it seems pinky is not in her usual mood.

Me: ooh okay, (then I turned front and checked the map placed in front of the driver to see how many minutes is left to get to the club) ohh it’s 2mins, It seems we are almost there.

Favour, pinky, and faith started adjusting their clothes and makeup.

We got to the club, and went in, found a place to sit, after a few minutes, faith stood up, and asked around if she was sexy enough and good to go, faith smiled at her, stood up, and gave her a spin then gave her a go-ahead look

Pinky: Go, girl!  You always look sexy, you know that (she winked at her and smile)

Me: you look nice dear (smiling and nodding)

Faith: alright ladies, see you when I see you (she took off)

After a few minutes, two guys approached pinky and they were discussing, later one went away, and the remaining one, I heard some faint conversation though, the place was cool and I think the air conditioning was perfect, but the music was too loud, there was no way you won't move your body, people dancing, drinking and making out too I think.

Pinky: I would stay for .....(fainting conversation) no, I won’t allow that... Okay, let’s go dance a little.

After a few minutes, they left to the front stage to dance I guess. I was left with Favour. The favour was staring at a lady that was dancing on the pole. Then I looked at her and try to figure out what she was looking at in that direction.

Favour: (she started laughing, pointing at some people) watch that lady desire, she has so much of a black spot yet she wore this transparent cloth and her heels are bending... Look (she was directing me as I saw it and then we both started laughing)

We started discussing and talking about people as regards the way they danced or walked into the club... We made fun of them and laughed as we ate and drank grilled beef and beer.
I noticed a guy was staring at us. Then he approached me, he sat by my side

Man: (looking at me smiling, then he brought out his hands for a shake, shouting so that I could hear him)  Hello dear,  how are you? Am I audible enough?

Me: (I shook him and smiled too,) I can hear you loud and clear( shouting loud enough for him to hear me too) am good, and you?

Man: am doing okay, I have been staring at you and your friend for some time from over there (he pointed at where he sat)

Me: (I nodded)  okay?

Man: (he looked at the favour and wanted to shake her too but the favour ignored him, he noticed and withdrew) can we both go outside for some time so I can talk to you? Here is a super noisy



Me: (surprised) it’s okay dear,  we can talk here, I can hear you pretty much

Man: I insist dear

Me: am sorry I can’t leave without my friend here

Man: we won’t be gone for too long, just out there for a few minutes (pointing outside the club where there was a lounge and a big corridor.

Me: (still shaking my head negatively) am sorry dear, I can’t
(the man kept insisting and Favour looked at him and told him to leave)

Favour: (angry) Uncle! the lady said she won’t go why do you keep insisting? Please leave her alone and go your way

Man: (angry) please mind your business! am I talking to you? you don’t have manners at all young lady, I was talking to you before and you ignored me, just because I didn’t ask you outright?  Now want to discourage your friend from following me, I will spend money on her today and it will pain you,  I will give her fifty thousand for one night, something that will take you a week or two weeks or even a month for you to accomplish and at the end of the day, you will still be ignorant.

Me: (surprised and angry)  excuse me Mr man! why will you talk to my friend like that, she didn’t greet you or say hi to you didn’t warrant all these things you are saying.

Favour: (rendering insults) Mr man, you are very stupid, you are useless you are an idiot,  do you think everyone or every lady you see is a prostitute?

I guess Favour couldn't take it anymore and Before I could say, Jack Robins, we started creating a scene, two bouncers took us outside to settle our scores, 
The favour was still insulting him and the guy wanted to hit her, the people around us helped in separating them and I was so scared, after some time some guys came and took the guy away and some ladies tried to calm favour down, after some time, I went on to calm her too and spoke with her.

we sat outside on the balcony as she texted faith and pinky on her phone. A Few minutes later pinky said she has already left, Faith said the same thing.

Me: ( I went to get coffee at the coffee table)  here you go dear (I handed the hot coffee to her) am so sorry for that embarrassment, I wasn’t expecting that, I never knew it would even go this far, am so sorry

Favour: it’s okay dear, it’s nothing,  these men are something else (blowing the coffee and sipping it little by little as I sipped mine and watched her do the same

Me: favour is that how these men behave here? I didn’t know he will be persistent, I thought it was just the normal toasting and all

Favour: these men have dealt with ladies here, I won’t let that happen to you dear.

Me:How did you end up like this dear?  It's so sad

Favour: (still sipping her coffee then she dropped it on the table) it’s a lady I knew back then at home, she usually help me with stuff at the cafe and so one day while I was typing some things in the system (computer)  she observed me till I was done for the day, as I was about to leave she told me that I could be working for her in India as her assistant, that I would help in typing and scheduling some things for her if I will accept to go with her to India...

That there are so many opportunities there and she has seen what I can do with laptops and how I type so well and fast.
She asked me to send my curriculum vitae if am interested.

When I went back to the system I sent it to the email she had given me. Then we spoke for some time about my schooling and qualification, she was so surprised I was good with my disciples and so she offered she sponsored me abroad (india) to work for her. I told her I will think about it and get back to her.


After some days, I told my mum about it but my mum wasn’t comfortable with the idea... My mum suggested I work in a salon or the cafe that was at the junction in our area, I have been searching for a job for 3 years since I graduated from university but all to no avail and so when my mum proposed that I work in the cafe I was so sad, I felt she didn’t understand what I was going through, how I felt I should be doing better than that.

That evening I told my dad too but he advised I try to find out more about the job and shelter, that if I want to go he can’t stop me, “am an adult” so he said and so I should trade carefully,

 I went into my room and started chatting with the aunty about what my job demanded and where I would stay and all, after everything, I decided to go with her, she paid for my flight and all... The only thing I did was to get my passport myself, the rest was taken care of by her.

When I got to India, some girls came to pick me up at the airport, My name was on a piece of cardboard paper and so I approached them, we all went into the cab that was already waiting outside the airport.

When I got to the apartment, one of the girls knocked and another lady from inside opened then I went in, and there were other girls too inside, I was offered a seat and then I guess one of the girls went in to call the aunty,

 she came out of a room and called me in together with two other girls, we went in. Then she asked for our passport, she was going to hold it for me so I won’t lose it to her. And then she got a small clay pot and asked us to kneel and swear,  I was shocked and then I asked her, “Aunty why are we swearing ?” She ignored me like the guys in the room told me to be quiet and swear, that it is normal.

I stood up and was reluctant, thinking of a way to run as I have just realized am into big trouble, before I could do anything, the men grabbed me and then took me into a room and then told me when I get into the room, I should knee and then take the oat, I asked why, then he slapped me, he asked me again but this time I dare not ask anymore, he tied me and told me to go to the other room and do as I am told.

he wanted to slap me but I bent down and he wasn’t able to reach me, then he asked if I had any more questions, I was crying with my hand on my cheeks as I said no.
He grabbed my right arm and took me to the room, as I got there, I knelt and then swore the oat.

 she told us how each of us owe her 380,000 which is three lack eighty thousand rupees, that we work for her henceforth and we are prostitutes, When everyone was done, she sat us down on the bed and asked if any of us was a virgin, if we lie she will know, one girl said she was, then the madam looked at the men with a sign, soon we left and the girl was asked to wait behind.

Midnight The aunty which everyone called madam, came out to share the room, paired us 4 per room, it was a big room, then we all went to sleep, the next day after bathing, she asked some girls to make us up and then the photographer that had arrive took us pictures while we posed different styles...

We the new girls were joined in a group chat, where I got to meet everyone, I was told that the pictures we took will be shared with different men called clients, and anyone interested in us will come by the house and speak to madam about price then you go home with the man, you must be back home before8 pm.

 If the man decides to give madam the money or he pays you when you are coming back home, you give the money to madam, she will deduct it from the money you are owed.

My first night was terrifying, I was dragged by the man as he has already paid madam, when we got to his house, he was like I shouldn’t waste his time, then after everything he forced himself on me, I cried in a way I have never cried before, It was so bad that I started thinking on how to go back to my country.

I went home that night and cleaned u, it’s either your client comes to pick you up at home and then takes you to his house, he comes to the house to do the business or he texts you to meet him in his house and if you don’t have a client then we go to the club or streets to find one.

we must always be out every day, except Sunday, Sundays are for rest, but if you still want to go then no problem but you won’t be forced as on other days, and so soon I got used to the trend... But I aimed to quickly pay the money, collect my passport and go back home.

There was a night that when I went to work, I came home bleeding and down there was swollen, I fainted at the doorstep and the girls at home took me to the hospital. I was admitted for 3 days, and on the day I got home, my madam told me to go out for work, I refused, but then our neighbor who liked me was always begging me to be with him, I wanted to but I felt he made end up rapping me or beating me, so I refused.

 Clients, a man or woman can decide to pay madam the debt you owe her, and then he/she takes you to his house, that way you no longer owe your madam, you now owe him, some girls have told me that I can be lucky in the sense where the guy likes you and then he pays off your debt from madam and then he dates you or marries you or some of them can be so kind as to tell you to be free and can tell you not to pay him, in that way you become free to go back home or becomes your madam or even start life afresh.

I thought about all these things outside as I felt dull pain down there, when I saw it was almost 2 am I knew that I need to earn or get money to give madam before I can go into the house ever and so I decided to visit my neighbor, I went into the house and asked him to please lend me 5 thousand, he accepted and gave me the money, then I asked if I could stay there till morning by 7 am, he was okay with it,

in the morning I was grateful and It went on like that till I got myself, and then I worked double to cover the money am owning my neighbor and madam, he was my best friend and one I could count on. He asked me not to worry about paying it back but in this business ...you just have to pay your debt and owe no one.


TO BE CONTINUED.....






(madam is the name given to the lady, who is in charge of some girls... These girls work for her and pay her/give her money every time, the answer to her, is they owe her) 
(Ana means a friend or brother) 

#Human trafficking is real#

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Feelings

I'm in over my head and possibly out of my league. I have become very cautious with my words, every sentence should make perfect sense, have the right rhythm and sound intriguing to perfectly explain how I feel without being impulsive or becoming too pesty.  Click 1 I'm not feeling it, but I know the feeling, I'm not seeing it but I know how beautiful it is. I can't hold it but I know it is the most tangible asset. I've loved and still love you without a price tag. So it's not that I love you but I am in love with you. We're not all expressive, some say it as it is while others don't.  Click 2 Well I've already accepted to not give up, to be there when there's nothing to make me remain and at the same time remain committed to you because I believe that someday you'll not just see how much I love you or feel it but I'll see it from you when am down and just the sight of it will make my heart plunder deep into tears of

To -Do-list Tips

Unable to focus & get things done? Always Forgetful?  Here are a few things I do when I find myself unable to concentrate or focus during the day or forgetful and to boost my overall productivity and performance and ensure I am checking off the important tasks on my to-do list.    letting go One thing I have learned about myself is that I forget a lot even to a fault if I should add but am working on it, in fact, that is why I always carry a small dairy everywhere. ... I write down all the things am supposed to do that day and then I do it.  dad  1. I make sure I do one task at a time and finish it before I embark on a new one. 2. I have a priority list which I stick to, I eliminate all distractions and only have things open or around me that will contribute to me completing the task I am working on.  https://www.justychidd.com/2018/06/let-life-race-you-out-your-fears.html 3. I always have a little reward to look forward to celebrate the tasks I complete - it does

Everyday gives a new start

I've always viewed life from the sidelines, Just watching it pass me by, In the past too afraid to just let go and live, And lately too tired to try. https://www.justychidd.com/2018/06/let-life-race-you-out-your-fears.html I've envied the people around me, So invested in living each day, While I spent my time hiding out from the world, And searching for ways to escape.  In love but no leg For most of my life, I truly believed, I was here to help somebody else, But now it's so clear it was just an excuse. To avoid living life for myself.   Love is an action word It's sad that our lives and the pain we endure, Can weaken our strength to move on, But if we get lost in the scars of our past, Without knowing our lives will be gone. Advice to my younger self Its true people are disappointing, They can turn in the blink of an eye, But we can't avoid hurting each other, When we all want a chance at this life.  But there's something I've